Anti-germ properties, regenerate skin cells, as well as offering stress reduction? Can this oil bring our ‘busy life’ health issues some relief? The fragrance of Neroli Oil is described as a deep, intoxicating aroma of citrus and floral, for good reason as it is produced from the flowers of a bitter orange tree. Dr. Axe shares the numbered research in his original article.
The bitter orange tree (Citrus aurantium) is native to eastern Africa and tropical Asia, but today it’s also grown throughout the Mediterranean region and in the states of Florida and California. The trees bloom heavily in May, and under optimal growing conditions, a large bitter orange tree can produce up to 60 pounds of fresh flowers. Some of the major components of neroli essential oil include linalool (28.5 percent), linalyl acetate (19.6 percent), nerolidol (9.1 percent), E-farnesol (9.1 percent), α-terpineol (4.9 percent) and limonene (4.6 percent).
Uses for Neroli Essential Oil – Neroli essential oil can be purchased as a 100 percent pure essential oil, or it can be purchased at a lower price tag already diluted in jojoba oil or another carrier oil. Which should you buy ? It all depends on how you plan to use it and your budget. Naturally, the pure essential oil smells stronger and therefore is a better choice for use in homemade perfumes, diffusers and aromatherapy. However, if you plan on using the oil mainly for your skin, then it’s not a bad idea to buy it blended with a carrier oil like jojoba oil.
Once you’ve purchased your neroli essential oil, here are some awesome ways to use it on a daily basis:
- Clear your head and reduce stress: Take a sniff of neroli essential oil while commuting to or from work. It’s sure to make rush hour a bit more bearable and your outlook a little brighter.
- Sweet dreams: Put a drop of the essential oil on a cotton ball and tuck it inside your pillowcase to help you relax into a great night’s slumber.
- Purify the air: Diffuse neroli essential oil in your home or office to clean the air and breathe in its anti-germ properties.
- Soak away stress: To naturally remedy anxiety, depression, hysteria, panic, shock and stress, use 3–4 drops of neroli essential oil in your next bath or foot bath.
- Alleviate headaches: Apply a few drops to a hot or cold compress to soothe a headache, especially one caused by tension.
- Lower blood pressure: By using neroli essential oil in a diffuser or just taking a few sniffs of it right out of the bottle, studies have shown blood pressure as well as cortisol levels can be lowered.
- Regenerate skin: Mix a drop or two of neroli essential oil with an application of an unscented face cream or oil (like jojoba or argan), and apply as normal.
- PMS relief: For a natural remedy for PMS cramps, mix a few drops of neroli into your bathwater.
Possible Side Effects of Neroli Essential Oil – As always, you should never use neroli essential oil undiluted, in your eyes or in other mucus membranes. Do not take neroli essential oil internally unless you’re working with a qualified practitioner. As with all essential oils, keep neroli essential oil out of the reach of children.
Before applying neroli essential oil to your skin, always perform a small patch test to an insensitive part of the body (like your forearm) to make sure you don’t experience any negative reactions. Neroli is a nontoxic, non-sensitizing, nonirritant and non-phototoxic essential oil, but a patch test should always be performed to be on the safe side. If you find that you fail the patch test and neroli irritates your skin, unfortunately you should discontinue use of neroli essential oil. If you do pass the patch test, then you can use neroli essential oil more widespread after diluting it with a carrier oil.
Neroli oil has been tested for its antimicrobial properties against six kinds of bacteria, two types of yeast, and three different fungi; and, was recently studied for its anticonvulsant effects for the management of seizures. If you care to read further about these studies you can refer back to Dr. Axe’s original article.
May you soak away your stress and have sweet dreams with Neroli Oil!